Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help reviewing a book (the section on pets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help reviewing a book (the section on pets)

So, I'm going to do a super in-depth review of To Walk a Pagan Path on my blog, and I know we have some super-pet knowlegable people around here, and I wanted a second or thrid or fifth pair of eyes for the chapter he has on pets ("Familiar Spirits") because there's quite a bit of non-magical advice in there. If anyone has the book or has access to it and has a bit of time to reread through, and offer any of their issues or concerns, that would be great...especially anything he recommends that stands out as not safe or as not good advice.

My biggest issue with this section (although I don't think he intends it that way) is that it encourages people to get pets that shouldn't have a pet in the hope of getting a familiar out of it. If/when it doesn't work, then what? A pet is a huge responsibility. Someone shouldn't get a pet with the intention of trying to get a familiar unless they are actively looking for a pet... :/
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: help reviewing a book (the section on pets)

Pet rocks are a good alternative. :P

I don't have access to the book, but I look forward to your review.

Comment

That's a horrible thing to encourage people to do. What're you supposed to do if the animal you get isn't a familiar? Abandon it? I hate people that use animals like disposable items.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I haven't read that book, but my experience is that the pet advice in pagan books is all sorts of terrible. As is the advice about encountering wild creatures and contacting totems through real-world counterparts.

If you want to recap a few points, I can advise on that. But in general I really dislike pagan authors talking about pets as familiars, because 95% of the time pets AREN'T familiars. The only authors I've read who've had practical and accurate advice about the possibility of pets as familiars are Lupa and Yasmine Gallenorn, but even they have a few cringe worthy comments about pet care advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          I haven't read that book, but my experience is that the pet advice in pagan books is all sorts of terrible. As is the advice about encountering wild creatures and contacting totems through real-world counterparts.

If you want to recap a few points, I can advise on that. But in general I really dislike pagan authors talking about pets as familiars, because 95% of the time pets AREN'T familiars. The only authors I've read who've had practical and accurate advice about the possibility of pets as familiars are Lupa and Yasmine Gallenorn, but even they have a few cringe worthy comments about pet care advice.
          I was wondering what your take on this would be.

Comment

Working...
          X