Tarot Reading Issues for Self

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tarot Reading Issues for Self

I have never been able to do readings well for myself without them being a meaningless jumbled mess. I cannot even do readings others have requested if I'm in them. A friend of mine ( non-pagan ) says that I'm blocked ( she did a reading ). It didn't explain why or how how. Just that I was blocked. How can I even be blocked?

When I read for others, without me in them, the readings come out just fine, I really don't understand. If anyone has any answers that could help, it would be much appreciated. :/

Re: Tarot Reading Issues for Self

I interpret 'being blocked' simply as not being able to interpret the symbols and intuitions of the cards. I was lucky enough to pick up the Tarot fairly easy my first few times, but that is not because I am a psychic or more intuitive than others but because I enjoy the study of symbols, colors, animals, and occult correspondence, which naturally comes out during readings.

Some may think it is too intellectual, and it really is tedious and very hard to stick through it, is the study of Qabalistic symbolism of the Tarot, such as the astrological associations, the 22 paths, the metaphors behind the elements (Minor Arcana).

Every little thing helps. It takes study and trust in what you are receiving from the cards.

A good way to get in touch with your own intuition and learning how the cards read or lead the day is picking one card a day first thing. Take notes on the first impressions that come to you. Live your day, and at the end before you go to sleep, read the interpretation from the decks booklet of your Day Card and see if your day was anything like the description and your first journal. This will help you read the cards through your own understanding and through the authors understanding.

Comment

If your referring to the reversal cards I think I'll get a better understanding of what you mean of being blocked. Some people don't use reversal because they don't want a negative reading. I use reversal for two reasons: 1. It my preferences to use reversal. 2. I want an honest reading. I hope this answer your question about your tarot issues.

Comment

It's always easier looking from outside the problem. It could be you are "blocked" because you are too close to the situation you are reading for. Maybe try imagining yourself sitting across the table, and clear your mind and read for yourself as though you are reading to another person? How are they jumbled? Could it be your mind looking for the most possible answers instead of the "clearest" (most significant?) answer from each card? Could it be you see the card and not only interpret it but unconsciously start thinking of ways to fix it while you are doing the reading, which changes how it applies perhaps?
        ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their replies, it means a lot to me. When I mean blocked, I mean literally, like somethings keeping me from reading for myself.

I don't do reversals. Mostly because I'm OCDish and it bothers me.

Comment

Have you ever, maybe when you were first starting out, tried to read for yourself but didn't like the cards you drew so put them back in the deck and drew a different set? I don't think the cards (or whatever it is that makes them work), take kindly to that.

I think I've told this story here before in the past, but I did that before moving to Germany. The cards told me it would end in disaster. So I ignored that and tried again. I drew very similar cards with the same message. So I asked a third time and it said 'everything will turn out perfectly'. It was like the cards gave up because I clearly didn't want to hear the truth. I haven't been able to read the cards since. It's sad too. At one point I had a few paying clients who had me over to their home every 6 months to do readings for them and friends. One lady actually fell out with me for refusing to read for her, not understanding that I didn't trust the cards anymore.

I actually suspect that the cards would still work if I read for others, but I'm too scared to put myself through the humiliation of getting everything wrong so I'm not willing to try.

Incidentally, Germany was a massive fail. I couldn't find enough work to support myself, so I blew what little savings I'd accumulated over the years. I was too shy to push myself to use what I knew of the language and the man I'd moved there to be with not only dumped me before the move, but also spoke to me like I was scum whenever we met up and stopped speaking to me altogether when I moved back home, telling a mutual friend that he hated me. Not my finest life experience.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

One big thing I've said over and over again with Tarot and reading for yourself is be very, VERY wary of doing future readings because you'll get sucked into self fulfilling prophesy stuff and as Jembru mentioned, not always wanting to believe anything the cards may say if its not going the way you want to. Had a friend who did this with his love life over and over getting cards that said that if he didn't change his outlook he'd be alone forever basically.....and in not doing anything different, or changing how he goes about dating, and especially communicating with said dates, it's been one failure after another and he constantly falls back on the "well the cards were right and nothing can change it" bs. I tend to lean towards suggesting reading for advice on whatever situation and being open to the possibility that you may or may not like what they have to say (especially if you're reading with a faerie deck....cheeky snots)
              Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
              Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
              sigpic

Comment

I read for myself all the time.

But.

I don't believe the purpose is to tell you an immutable future.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pengivenink View Post
                  When I mean blocked, I mean literally, like somethings keeping me from reading for myself.
                  At what point do you get blocked?

So you ask your question, Lay out your spread and then what? Do you forget what the cards mean or something?

Comment

Maybe spend time in meditation and out in nature. You might find another way that opens your perceptions to the cards. Maybe you are just not ready for the Tarot for whatever reason and another form of Oracle may speak through and to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                      At what point do you get blocked?

So you ask your question, Lay out your spread and then what? Do you forget what the cards mean or something?
                      Sorry, I didn't mean for this to sound curt. Just trying to clarify what you mean by 'blocked' because some of the answers here address different aspects of being 'blocked.' If you could be more specific about the process you go through when doing a reading : type of questions you ask, if you always use the same deck, what spread you use (if it matters) and at what point you feel blocked, you'd probably get a relevant answer.

Comment

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
                        Maybe spend time in meditation and out in nature. You might find another way that opens your perceptions to the cards. Maybe you are just not ready for the Tarot for whatever reason and another form of Oracle may speak through and to you.
                        This is worth thinking about. In my case, although I can't get honest answers from the cards any more, I can read for myself in other ways. For me it's the 'Faeries Oracle' based on Brian Froud's artwork that works for me, because the imagery isn't related to the tarot and the readings are more advice than prediction (that said, I've never read the cards as though they're predicting the future; just that they're suggesting the most likely course based on current events and suggest a 'best course of action').

Another thing that works for me is meditation/dreamwork. It takes more effort and focus but I think that stops me from just asking questions out of boredom, or asking for advice on matters I can work out for myself. So definitely in my case, there are other options still open to me.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

No. I've never done that. I've been using the cards since I was 19. I've always taken the bad with the good, because that's simply how life is. The only time that I've ever put the cards back in to shuffle is in when I get non-sense readings that have no meaning and make absolutely no sense, however, I do take a picture of them for my records.

As I've said I have absolutely no issues reading for others just myself.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          Have you ever, maybe when you were first starting out, tried to read for yourself but didn't like the cards you drew so put them back in the deck and drew a different set? I don't think the cards (or whatever it is that makes them work), take kindly to that.

I think I've told this story here before in the past, but I did that before moving to Germany. The cards told me it would end in disaster. So I ignored that and tried again. I drew very similar cards with the same message. So I asked a third time and it said 'everything will turn out perfectly'. It was like the cards gave up because I clearly didn't want to hear the truth. I haven't been able to read the cards since. It's sad too. At one point I had a few paying clients who had me over to their home every 6 months to do readings for them and friends. One lady actually fell out with me for refusing to read for her, not understanding that I didn't trust the cards anymore.

I actually suspect that the cards would still work if I read for others, but I'm too scared to put myself through the humiliation of getting everything wrong so I'm not willing to try.

Incidentally, Germany was a massive fail. I couldn't find enough work to support myself, so I blew what little savings I'd accumulated over the years. I was too shy to push myself to use what I knew of the language and the man I'd moved there to be with not only dumped me before the move, but also spoke to me like I was scum whenever we met up and stopped speaking to me altogether when I moved back home, telling a mutual friend that he hated me. Not my finest life experience.
                          - - - Updated - - -

Again, I take the good with the bad, I don't choose to listen to what I want to hear, I take the truth. I stay away from the Fae as far and as much as possible. xD

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                          One big thing I've said over and over again with Tarot and reading for yourself is be very, VERY wary of doing future readings because you'll get sucked into self fulfilling prophesy stuff and as Jembru mentioned, not always wanting to believe anything the cards may say if its not going the way you want to. Had a friend who did this with his love life over and over getting cards that said that if he didn't change his outlook he'd be alone forever basically.....and in not doing anything different, or changing how he goes about dating, and especially communicating with said dates, it's been one failure after another and he constantly falls back on the "well the cards were right and nothing can change it" bs. I tend to lean towards suggesting reading for advice on whatever situation and being open to the possibility that you may or may not like what they have to say (especially if you're reading with a faerie deck....cheeky snots)
                          - - - Updated - - -

I can't use oracle cards for myself either. I've tried.

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
                          - - - Updated - - -

Oh no, don't worry about that, I've just been really busy lately and haven't had a chance to actually get on look, and reply to everyone.
                          A friend of my gave me a reading, and told me that I was "blocked" from reading the cards, like something or "someone" was blocking me. I do it like I do for everyone else. I make sure I feel well, I'm in a good mood, I'm and that I have plenty of energy, because it does drain me. I use the deck that works the best for me unless requested other wise, I use a requested spread from others, and for me I don't have a preference. I've used many all with confusing results. That make absolutely no sense. I don't feel blocked. I just am not able to read for myself.

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                          Sorry, I didn't mean for this to sound curt. Just trying to clarify what you mean by 'blocked' because some of the answers here address different aspects of being 'blocked.' If you could be more specific about the process you go through when doing a reading : type of questions you ask, if you always use the same deck, what spread you use (if it matters) and at what point you feel blocked, you'd probably get a relevant answer.
                          - - - Updated - - -

I live in the country. I'm no stranger to nature. ( I stay away from the Fae! xD ) I can read for other people perfectly fine, but if said person has me included in the reading, I cannot do it. As long as I'm not anywhere included in the reading, I read for others just fine. And I always make the statement that it isn't written in stone, that it can change, depending upon actions and things. Oh pfft. I can't medicate worth crap. The only version of meditation that works for me is if I color. I've always colored. It's the only time that I can absolutely clear my mind of everything and not have a single thought in my head.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          This is worth thinking about. In my case, although I can't get honest answers from the cards any more, I can read for myself in other ways. For me it's the 'Faeries Oracle' based on Brian Froud's artwork that works for me, because the imagery isn't related to the tarot and the readings are more advice than prediction (that said, I've never read the cards as though they're predicting the future; just that they're suggesting the most likely course based on current events and suggest a 'best course of action').

Another thing that works for me is meditation/dreamwork. It takes more effort and focus but I think that stops me from just asking questions out of boredom, or asking for advice on matters I can work out for myself. So definitely in my case, there are other options still open to me.
                          - - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to apologize to everyone, I've been really busy lately and I haven't had time to get on and reply to everyone, and I also wanted to thank everyone very very much for taking the time and effort to reply. I'm extremely grateful for the help and advice.

Comment

I wasn't talking about using oracle cards but the Oracle consciousness itself, such as getting in contact with animal spirits, dream interpretation, or Runes for example, something different than cards all together. Maybe you are blocked because you are not using the correct medium of communication.

Comment

Originally posted by pengivenink View Post
                              A friend of my gave me a reading, and told me that I was "blocked" from reading the cards, like something or "someone" was blocking me....

Oh pfft. I can't medicate worth crap. The only version of meditation that works for me is if I color. I've always colored. It's the only time that I can absolutely clear my mind of everything and not have a single thought in my head.

So, were you able to read for yourself before your friend told you that you were blocked?

Also, I encourage you to have a look at our meditation thread. There is a misconception that meditation requires a totally empty mind. You've been misled!

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...ou-do-it/page6 Read the very first post, especially the heading: 'How to Meditate'
                              Last edited by Azvanna; 25 Apr 2016, 19:03.

Comment

Working...
                              X