Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Guess I'll do a rant here just to add something.

About a year ago, maybe a bit more, we replaced the engine in our truck. So our son comes home and say's there is a knocking in the engine. Yep, one of the rods and bearings is knocking and the engine is going. Who knows how long it would last. Warranty won't hold because we didn't have all the fluids and such done at special places and have exact receipts. Due to age of truck and price of a new engine or rebuild it's not even worth it to pursue either route. That's the beginning of the week.

Lay down because not feeling well, lovely side effect of seizures. Get up later and decide I need something from the refrigerator and notice the light is out. Granddaughter says "It blew out when she opened it a few hours ago!" Think ok, no big deal just change the bulb out. Open the freezer and happened to notice everything is sweating and think this is not ok. So begin the debug process. Finally arrive at the conclusion the fridge has died it's final death and begin the dance of the bumble bee as I try to get all the stuff either into the freezer or cooler. As I'm doing all this call the wife to tell her. She's on the road with our grandson. She's able to make arrangements to have a new one delivered the next day fortunately, find that out when she gets home. Remember I'm doing the flight of the bumble bee cleaning coolers, moving stuff, getting ice packs into the freezer so they are ready if things have to carry on.

Just for added bonus points when we go to unhook the water line to the refrigerator we cut the switch off. Thinking yes we turned it off. Only to discover the guts of the switch have broken off, yes our house was built in the 70's and the innards have come apart. So the kitchen floor is flooded when the line is pulled away and there is a healthy flow of water everywhere. Wife didn't tell me she was doing this I only discover this later. Had to cut the main water line off to stop the flow as when the line was hooked back to the refrigerator is continued to leak. How many towels does it take to clean up a flood? Every one we had used multiple times.

We were real stimulating this week, picked up two new bills.
    I feel this. Due to the derecho, we needed a new roof and AC this year. We replaced the furnace at the same time because it was cheaper that way (it was a 50+ year old furnace, so old you couldn't find a date on it and replacing it at the same time as the AC pretty much eliminated labor costs). Also had to replace the washer and dryer, and repair our RV. We've been luck that we actually had a little in savings and got stimulus payments this year.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Granting that I think the flag appears too often to start with, if your business is going to fly the flag on its property then do not put a flag for your personal company above the flag of the Union. Your pissant local chain does not take precedence over the country.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

China is a horrible country full of unfair and crappy laws. The other day my friend wanted to learn tarot and I told him to get a tarot deck and book. He said that divination books are banned in China. I was very shocked and surprised about China. Anything foreign is banned in China. I don't get how could a country other than North Korea could be so horrible with their unfair laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          China is a horrible country full of unfair and crappy laws. The other day my friend wanted to learn tarot and I told him to get a tarot deck and book. He said that divination books are banned in China. I was very shocked and surprised about China. Anything foreign is banned in China. I don't get how could a country other than North Korea could be so horrible with their unfair laws.
          China is on a list of countries that I really want to see for historical sites and can't imagine myself setting foot in without either

A. Massive societal change on their part
          Or
          B. Possession of a diplomatic visa with full or near full immunity on my part.

As I have zero desire to join the State Department and China seems unlikely to make massive changes in a direction I like in a timely manner, I don't expect to visit.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            China is on a list of countries that I really want to see for historical sites and can't imagine myself setting foot in without either

Or

As I have zero desire to join the State Department and China seems unlikely to make massive changes in a direction I like in a timely manner, I don't expect to visit.
            Depending on what historic bits you're specifically interested in, it might be better to visit Japan. For example, Japan has far more extant Tang era style architecture than China. It's obviously a bit different overall, but in many ways Japan and Korea have more of old China than China does.
            Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
              Depending on what historic bits you're specifically interested in, it might be better to visit Japan. For example, Japan has far more extant Tang era style architecture than China. It's obviously a bit different overall, but in many ways Japan and Korea have more of old China than China does.
              I'll remember that. Japan also has particular styles of castle that I'd enjoy seeing anyway. You wouldn't happen to know convenient places to get a look at older Zoroastrian sites outside of Iran and India would you? I'm not absolutely opposed to visiting India but Iran has an occasional tendency to keep visiting Americans and I don't particularly feel like touring their prisons.

Comment

I'll remember that. Japan also has particular styles of castle that I'd enjoy seeing anyway. You wouldn't happen to know convenient places to get a look at older Zoroastrian sites outside of Iran and India would you? I'm not absolutely opposed to visiting India but Iran has an occasional tendency to keep visiting Americans and I don't particularly feel like touring their prisons.
                Persia is mostly outside any of my research focuses. I only really know about it and Zoroastrianism through what impact was had on Europe. My gut instincts tell me there can't possibly be that many extant Zoroastrian places of note, but it's not something I know very much about. As a religion it's still around in some form, and I wouldn't call it.. irrelevant exactly, but there's not a huge number of them left. I hesitate to say anything further just because it's really out of my wheelhouse.
                Circe

Comment

Or

If I ever visit a country someday, I'm not going to choose China as my first choice.

Comment

So anyway, I went on my friend Livestream a few nights ago she accused me to talk crap behind her back which I never do and she got mad at me because I hexed two of her stupid friends who have been causing drama. Bye Felicia, so I hexed her good. This woman is nothing more than a backstabber who plays a victim who smokes too much of her weed every day.

Comment

How come masks have made people think they don't need to speak anymore? I work in customer service and people used to at least answer or acknowledge what you said to them. Now they don't even talk. Just hand you the paperwork or bill or whatever without even speaking. I ask them questions and they will nod their head or barely mumble words. Grrrr. Newsflash! It's still okay to be polite and speak - even with a mask on!!

Comment

I hate it when other people judge negatively about homeless people that they believe that all homeless people are evil. Just because they don't have a home doesn't mean they're evil. I wish people could stop judging homeless people negatively about it.
                        Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 04 Apr 2021, 10:46.

Comment

It's a thing. I don't know if evil is right, but definitely suspect. That's part of why the wife and I organize as a c3, for a limited range of cases. The idea is that a homeless guy might be more likely to harm you - but the reality is that a homeless guy is more likely than the average person to be a vet with a deep sense of honor that would do -terrible- things -for you- on the simple worry of you being harmed. That's why he's homeless. Worrying about you and acting for you broke him. He needs a walkman and a job and food and shelter and some grand greater thing to strive for like before. The suspicion with which he's apprehended is a complicating factor to his misery, which (at least partially) explains his situation.

Change that, and people view of him changes...drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
                            It's a thing. I don't know if evil is right, but definitely suspect. That's part of why the wife and I organize as a c3, for a limited range of cases. The idea is that a homeless guy might be more likely to harm you - but the reality is that a homeless guy is more likely than the average person to be a vet with a deep sense of honor that would do -terrible- things -for you- on the simple worry of you being harmed. That's why he's homeless. Worrying about you and acting for you broke him. He needs a walkman and a job and food and shelter and some grand greater thing to strive for like before. The suspicion with which he's apprehended is a complicating factor to his misery, which (at least partially) explains his situation.

Change that, and people view of him changes...drastically.
                            At the end of the day, he's still a human being.

Comment

Well, sure. He was a human being at the beginning of the day too.

The broad range of people and broad range of circumstances that lead to homelessness in the US defy our view of what the stereotypical homeless person must be like. Our current economic situation pretty much guarantees that some portion of us will be homeless at a given time, and that once homeless, they become unemployable, and therefore incapable of reacquiring a home. There was this great little program down in sc florida that had volunteer laborers (who were members) working a community farm once a week. Alongside them, there were people working for shares. Two ten hour days for $400 worth of scheduled produce, and all the produce they could carry or haul off (for use or sale) on the days of. Many of them homeless or functionally equivalent to homeless (bouncing around as guests with their kids in tow). The CSA members, who were predominantly wealthy retirees...were often genuinely surprised to find out that those smiling moms and dads working their butts off out in the fields producing niche crops for an affluent market were homeless. They were particularly surprised to find a large number of former servicemembers. That's not who they thought the homeless were. It made them more engaged in those other sides of the program, beyond the agricultural pilot.
                              Last edited by Rhythm; 06 Apr 2021, 08:21.

Comment

Ok. I was posting a thread about a movie review of Coming to 2 America where I was expressing my opinion on an internet forum. It was a very decent review. And next thing that happens it was locked and deleted. Then I received an infraction because they have this "No Opinion" rule on their site which I think is completely stupid to even have this rule, to begin with. Like you have an internet forum and you expected people to follow this idiotic No Opinion rule even when a member in your forum has an opinion for a certain topic that they like or dislike. That's completely stupid and unfair to have a rule like that in your forum. Of course, I did appeal the infraction but the admin completely reject my appeal.

Comment

Working...
                                X