This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naming of a sword

Hi, I intend to get/make a sword at some point for all use (ritual, combat, and training) and I intend to name this untested sword. I don't know what I should call it (thinking something like edge, cut, sever, oath, fang, bone, smoke, flame, or similar. In any language) and any names would be welcome. If one sings true for a sword for me, then I will tell you so. Due to the nature of time and space, any name that rings true will be the name of my eventual true sword, therefore it is the name I will ultimately use anyway and you will have helped shape fate. If you post in a different language, please include the translation in parentheses [example: ignis (fire in latin)]. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

References to apt quotes would be nice. I mean the first or a key word kind of thing. Like necessity for necessity is the mother of invention.

Originally posted by Tenebris Umbrius Lupinus View Post
    Hi, I intend to get/make a sword at some point for all use (ritual, combat, and training) and I intend to name this untested sword. I don't know what I should call it (thinking something like edge, cut, sever, oath, fang, bone, smoke, flame, or similar. In any language) and any names would be welcome. If one sings true for a sword for me, then I will tell you so. Due to the nature of time and space, any name that rings true will be the name of my eventual true sword, therefore it is the name I will ultimately use anyway and you will have helped shape fate. If you post in a different language, please include the translation in parentheses [example: ignis (fire in latin)]. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

References to apt quotes would be nice. I mean the first or a key word kind of thing. Like necessity for necessity is the mother of invention.
    I don't believe you can name anything till you've met it. So I wouldn't go ascribing names to a sword you have never met. You might pick some hardcore name like fang-binder, and it turns out your sword is more of a bread-cutter...

I was gonna name my car something cool like that... (forgot what stupidity it was), ended up calling her Emilia...
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Naming of a sword

I do think your missing the idea that a sword typically gets a name via one of two methods. The first the blacksmith who forges the blades gains a desired name and forges the name into the blade during its construction then typically inscribes it upon the metal. The second its named by its actions and feats and is named by its opponents not by the welder of the blade. Again possibly inscribed upon the metal but more often than not a continuation of the first method and the welders opponents find out its name and raise its stature.

The most common alternate method I am aware of is after it has tasted its first blood and is named from the sound it makes. At that point it has tasted its first blood and meat and is potentially awakened and must be named and guarded so it doesn't bite its owner, even by accident. And, yes there are a number of practices that one might employ for that process but the school of choice usually drives that and most do not simply publish all of it for the novice who gains a desire for a sword or any sort of blade in my opinion.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        I don't believe you can name anything till you've met it. So I wouldn't go ascribing names to a sword you have never met. You might pick some hardcore name like fang-binder, and it turns out your sword is more of a bread-cutter...

I was gonna name my car something cool like that... (forgot what stupidity it was), ended up calling her Emilia...
        As I point out above, time is an idea of a sequence of events, it doesn't exist. The whole idea of divination (as I practice it) is to look at the future by acknowledging that time is all happening at once. Therefore, I have, at the same point in reality, never thought of a sword, have just got a sword, and have always had a sword. Consequently, if I see or hear a name that rings true, then that is the appropriate name for the sword.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
        I do think your missing the idea that a sword typically gets a name via one of two methods. The first the blacksmith who forges the blades gains a desired name and forges the name into the blade during its construction then typically inscribes it upon the metal. The second its named by its actions and feats and is named by its opponents not by the welder of the blade. Again possibly inscribed upon the metal but more often than not a continuation of the first method and the welders opponents find out its name and raise its stature.

The most common alternate method I am aware of is after it has tasted its first blood and is named from the sound it makes. At that point it has tasted its first blood and meat and is potentially awakened and must be named and guarded so it doesn't bite its owner, even by accident. And, yes there are a number of practices that one might employ for that process but the school of choice usually drives that and most do not simply publish all of it for the novice who gains a desire for a sword or any sort of blade in my opinion.
        See above for why I say the following. I hope to forge a sword for myself and if you can give me a suggestion that feels correct, then I will be able to make myself a sword with that name as a guide. The feeling thing is due to the time thing above.

Comment

.. See above for why I say the following. I hope to forge a sword for myself and if you can give me a suggestion that feels correct, then I will be able to make myself a sword with that name as a guide. The feeling thing is due to the time thing above.
          Sorry you never decide on a name then make an object to fit the name. You create the thing then name it based upon the item created and what it conveys or reveals about itself. Heck even deciding whether to hot forge or cold forge the metal and shape the blade influences the name and its properties. The very material used in construction and even blooding of the metal during forging all influences its identity and self perception.

So sorry you seem to be talking without knowing what your talking about in my opinion.

Comment

Is there some specific reason why one can't name something before it exists? I didn't think there was a universal truth for providing a name to something.

I mean, people name human beings before they are conceived all the time. Is there a reason a sword is more special than a person?

I would really like to know why it matters, beyond personal preference of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
              Is there some specific reason why one can't name something before it exists? I didn't think there was a universal truth for providing a name to something.

I mean, people name human beings before they are conceived all the time. Is there a reason a sword is more special than a person?

I would really like to know why it matters, beyond personal preference of course.
              Of course you can, but its never felt right to me. So many times I see people pick a name, before theyve met their child, and they end up changing it once they've met, or in one case, they kept it, and the child changed it when they were old enough.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post

Of course anyone can name something without actually knowing it. In that regard its no different than walking into a crowded room and refusing to learn peoples names and calling them whatever you desire. Of course one mustn't be surprised then when they ignore you, do things other than you desire or even turn on you because you don't take the time to discover who they are and what their name actually is. that you enter the room with the perspective you have created or made each person and determine their worth only adds to the struggle that will occur.

Figure lets say your name is Dorothy but I say I created you and made you all you are and you are Maude. I mold you with skill, harden you with intent and focus, manipulate your physical capabilities and instill your ethics and morality. Ignoring all that you are in favor of what I insist you will be and never bothering to actually discover who or what you are because i've already given you an identity and your inner identity doesn't then matter.

With a sword its important when you consider by design it has one purpose, that being to cut or tear. It is born with a desire for blood and when ensouled will fight and try to dominate its user. To become great it has to become one with its welder and act as an extension of his / her body, to move with them and to know what each is capable of doing. It has to be respected and know for who it is not who someone wants it to be or tries to make it identify as. To feel its life and energy as you wrap your hand about the pommel and feel its weight, balance, thirst and other facets as you discover what or who it is, not restrict it by assuming who or what it really is.

- - - Updated - - -

I would add in regards to naming of children, consider it wasn't that long ago a child would not be named until it was weeks or months old that its true self might be discovered and the proper name given to them. that children changed from ones future to a sense of something a person owned resulted in names being selected in advance and tagging your property. Yet more so to mark lineage and lay claim to who fathered the child and lines that it would be marked from. Simply property and the value having such implied not recognizing the individual nature of the child being conceived.

Comment

First, it's a sword. Not your first born or role playing name. Just effing name it. Second...in the process of you making your sword, you may find you come upon a name that relates to the mind frame you are in while in the process of making sword.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    First, it's a sword. Not your first born or role playing name. Just effing name it. Second...in the process of you making your sword, you may find you come upon a name that relates to the mind frame you are in while in the process of making sword.
                    That's the difference between a sword created by a craftsman versus one created by a want-a-bee creator. To the craftsman its a living thing that is being birthed, to the want-a-bee its just a slab of metal with a role playing name given to it. Yes for many the creation of a sword is like having a first born and all that goes into its creation and naming. The difference between say a Toledo or Damascus Blade and your typical fantasy created model.

But then I tend to think words and names have meaning and applies to the old adage of to know a things true name is to have power and / or control over it. I suppose that's why I can relate to the professions where people have specially created / crafted and named objects. Doesn't matter whether it be a bat, a sword or other edged weapon, paint brush or pen for drawing.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Do you anticipate combat by sword in (or after) 2014?

(yes, yes... I know... time doesn't exist... but... then again, if all time happens simultaneously, then you've already named your sword...)
                      "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

When I named my athame I asked it for it's name and then slept that night with the intent of recieving it. I drank a bit of mugwort tea to help the process. Got the name loud and clear. Not sure about getting a name before hand as I didn't do it that way but if you make blade perhaps a name would call out to be made.

Comment

I believe a sword should be named something that is unheard of, or has translated meanings. Like most ancient Japanese Military history, the warriors named their weapons and fought with them. Well, that was before the pistol was invented.
                          Nicholas Brandow

Comment

Working...
                          X