Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Has Died At the Age of 79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Has Died At the Age of 79

Good point mask,and my statement means we must grow with the changing times.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
      It is common for one party to object to the appointment of the other party's nomination of a supreme court judge. That is one of the division of powers that is built into the constitutional republic in which we live. If Obama selects someone who is not acceptable to both parties then the majority party can stop the appointment. This challenges the president to select someone who is considered fair to the peoples rights. Putting a person who is publicly against the rights listed in our constitution would be disastrous for our country's health and welfare as well as the welfare of the people. We do not live in a democracy where a majority vote can remove the rights of others. Our rights are beyond political power. Since the supreme court is the last legal steps in protecting those rights the only way to keep it in place is to have agreement on the justices.
      With Obama's disdain for the rights listed in the bill of rights to be protected by the federal and all of government I believe it would be difficult for the senate to approve most nominations to the court. He has already appointed two justices while the senate was controlled by the Democrats but I think it will be more difficult to get approval on this, the third of his appointments.

The senate majority leader has said the senate won't consider any nominee under Obama, No one. That is derailing the process.

Comment

I have never understood the Conservative idea that the Constitution is beyond reproach or folly. It is a human document. It should change, it should progress. Let's not pretend this is any more than Republican obstruction.

It's really amazing how many interpretations of the Constitution Conservatives will pull out of their ass as an excuse to not effectively govern.

Comment

I agree with you dragon'sFriend. One of the problems with people today is their ignorance, sometimes willful, of the constitution and the true form of the government of the USA. Had there been a democracy in place many who are just now realizing their rights would probably never get a chance to do so. Bill Clinton signed into law the defense of marriage act which acknowledged that marriage is between a man and a woman. It was just last summer that SCOUTUS ruled it unconstitutional. Had we been a democracy that would not have happened. While our system of government is far from perfect in practice, in theory it is the best known system that, theoretically, protects the rights of all.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I am not really sure how these things will go anymore...And one thing,what worked for the founding Fathers,might not work today. They could not have predicted the state of our country today. Strict observance of their ideas might keep us in their world and effect how we live today with no regard for what can work NOW!

- - - Updated - - -

Also they mentioned on CNN some kind of unwritten rule(also saw it on John Oliver's show)
          Actually they pretty much accurately did predict the state of this country today. I believe it was Benjamin Franklin? who said we were given a republic if we can keep it. Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and others all knew that thongs would change over time. The Second amendment was put in place for the purposes of the citizens to protect themselves from an overreaching federal government, not foreign invaders. So yes they in fact knew that human arrogance and fallibility would eventually lead us down this path. The Forefathers were great and forward thinkers of their time.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
          I have never understood the Conservative idea that the Constitution is beyond reproach or folly. It is a human document. It should change, it should progress. Let's not pretend this is any more than Republican obstruction.

It's really amazing how many interpretations of the Constitution Conservatives will pull out of their ass as an excuse to not effectively govern.
          That can also be said of liberals. Neither group has effectively governed for many years. The reason that we have a two party system and a fantastic human document in the constitution is as a checks and balances on one leg of the government getting too strong and overreaching. Obama and the democrat lead congress in 2010 forced upon us the ACA and while SCOTUS narrowly upheld it, it is unconstitutional. No where in the constitution does it state that the government has the right to force it's citizens to purchase any goods or services whatsoever. The constitution outlines the powers and obligations to all three legs of the government and only those powers enumerated to them are theirs to enforce. All other powers not enumerated to those three legs were reserved for the states and the people.

Comment

It is indeed the best known system that protects the rights of all people as it took hundreds of years for some people to even get rights. But, then we are all ignorant, this generation is destroying America. Why can't we just go back to the 1950's?

(and none of this have anything to do with the Republicans using the Constitution has a blanket to obstruct government or the appointing of Scalia's replacement)

Comment

It is indeed the best known system that protects the rights of all people as it took hundreds of years for some people to even get rights. But, then we are all ignorant, this generation is destroying America. Why can't we just go back to the 1950's?

(and none of this have anything to do with the Republicans using the Constitution has a blanket to obstruct government or the appointing of Scalia's replacement)
              Yes well it would be nice to go back to far greater and gentler times when life wasn't so hectic and the world wasn't quite as dangerous. At least not on our doorstep. Just because the constitution gives the senate the power to confirm or deny an appointment, does not mean that they have to confirm any old Joe for the job. I personally would rather see the new president appoint the new SCOTUS justice but it is Obama's right and privilege to do so. Regardless as to whether it is an election year, he is still our president. With that said, he doesn't have to go right out right now and just pick anyone. I guarantee you that the Dems would be doing much the same thing if roles were reversed. This is the most divisive government we have had in a long time and it lends itself to all sorts of shenanigans by both parties.

Comment

Kindler, gentler times when non-whites had no rights and the danger was only mutually assured annihilation with the USSR.

Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post
                  Yes well it would be nice to go back to far greater and gentler times when life wasn't so hectic and the world wasn't quite as dangerous. At least not on our doorstep. Just because the constitution gives the senate the power to confirm or deny an appointment, does not mean that they have to confirm any old Joe for the job. I personally would rather see the new president appoint the new SCOTUS justice but it is Obama's right and privilege to do so. Regardless as to whether it is an election year, he is still our president. With that said, he doesn't have to go right out right now and just pick anyone. I guarantee you that the Dems would be doing much the same thing if roles were reversed. This is the most divisive government we have had in a long time and it lends itself to all sorts of shenanigans by both parties.
                  Of course with republicans being a minority in this country, and the republican controlled senate obstructing the president's nominee, and thus the next president picking at least one justice(Ginsburg has said she would resign if she didn't think the republicans would obstruct her replacement), it might just galvanize the democrats to come out and vote. With 10 dems and 24 repub senators up for reelection this could hand control of the senate to the dems and they could confirm a much more liberal justice than the moderate one that Obama is said to be putting forward. It's the government shutdown all over again only with the outcome resting on the election results.

Comment

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post
                    Yes well it would be nice to go back to far greater and gentler times when life wasn't so hectic and the world wasn't quite as dangerous.

That has never existed. You just didn't know any better.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Why is it that people who were not alive in the way back when,seem to have this obsession about this time as a perfect place...I grew up in that way back when,and do not remember that perfect place at all.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Kindler, gentler times when non-whites had no rights and the danger was only mutually assured annihilation with the USSR.

Good times.
                        LOL. Except maybe that part of things.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        That has never existed. You just didn't know any better.
                        Yes well to be fair I wasn't born until 1968. I do remember the fear I had as a child that the world was going to be blown to smithereens in a nuclear war. I even had a dream about it when I was about 12 or so. Scared the shit out of me.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        Why is it that people who were not alive in the way back when,seem to have this obsession about this time as a perfect place...I grew up in that way back when,and do not remember that perfect place at all.
                        It's probably because people look at their lives today with all of it's hecticness and the fact that social media spreads news like wildfire as it happens. Even in the 70's things seemed to be slower. Of course I was a kid then and so things weren't so hectic for me. There is no utopia only a world that we live in called the here and now.

Comment

I grew up in the 50's.hit junior high in the 60's(beginning 60's) and got out of high school in 1965,so I remember all the cold war stuff. The hide under your desk if the "Bomb" was dropped drills in school.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I was born in 1950 but I remember the anti communism crap in congress, the cold war fallout shelters (my dad built one), the bullies and racists of the 60s the friends I lost to drugs and hatred in the 70s, the economy of the 70s and 80s, and the insecurity of life in general. I learned to be prepared for layoffs, gasoline shortages, and the dangers of natural disasters like earthquakes and volcanoes. Living life is better than most of the other choices and being prepared to take care of yourself no matter what happens has made me feel secure for a long time. Now, if you prepare for bad times you are considered a terrorist or a "survivalist" or some other "ist" or "ism" that the government doesn't trust. They have even passed legislation in some states where they can confiscate your food and water to share it with others who were too lazy or stupid to be prepared themselves. The times we live in now are a lot more dangerous than any I have lived in before because people actually expect the government to save them. The government is doing all they can to save themselves and those folks don't give a bean about the people they are supposed to represent.
                            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                            X