Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rune of the week/month... anyone interested?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rune of the week/month... anyone interested?

I've had a look through the Heathenry board and the Divination & Astrology board, and aside from a few newbie questions about runes and the one sticky thread above, we've never really discussed them in depth. Is anyone interested in doing some beyond-introductory type compilation of our thoughts and experiences about the runes? I'm thinking maybe a 'Rune of the Week/Fortnight/Month/whatever'... either starting with Fehu and working our way through the Futhark or with me picking a new one at random, maybe with inclusion of the Younger Futhark and the Anglo Saxon Futhorc runes somehow. Or we could just have a 'Rune of the Day' thread where someone picks a rune from their own set at random and posts about their thoughts on it, then the next person picks one from theirs and posts about it.

Anyone interested? What do you all think? Any ideas for a format?

I've specifically posted this in Heathenry rather than Divination because I work with the runes in magick far more often than I do in divination. There is more to them than divination, and I would like us to explore that together. Divination is certainly a part of it, but lets include galdr, lore, magick, combinations for bindrunes, correspondences (if you believe they have them) and everything else. This is not about book definitions or interpretations... this is about how WE interact with and use the runes in our everyday practices. Of course non-Heathens/NT/Northern folk are welcome to contribute, I just thought putting it here was more expansive than limiting it to Divination.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Maybe, if I can be bothered
    0%

Re: Rune of the week/month... anyone interested?

I'm all for seeing rune info but I'll be more lurking than posting since I don't typically use them.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      I'm all for seeing rune info but I'll be more lurking than posting since I don't typically use them.
      I would add that option to the poll but I don't think I can edit it...

Comment

I'm pretty sure someone can edit it but I'm going to sleep soon so I'm not meddling. I'll tinker tomorrow or see if I can con an admin.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

I'm pretty sure someone can edit it but I'm going to sleep soon so I'm not meddling. I'll tinker tomorrow or see if I can con an admin.
          Cheers.

No rush though. In the meantime, other would-be lurkers are welcome to contribute!

Comment

I'll probably be something of a lurker as well, but I would be delighted to seeing this sort of thread.

Runes have interested me for some time and, while I have never used them for spiritual or spiritual practices, I used to know the Futhark alphabet quite well. It would definitely be interesting to see the 'less secular' usage of runes, and how people apply them in their spiritual practice. :3

Once again I will probably be one of the lurkers, but I support this idea for a thread.

Comment

I'd welcome such a thing.
              A good deal of my daily practice and study revolves around the runes (the elder futhark) so I'd be very open to discussing and sharing ideas with everyone.

Comment

I would love that. Personally I'd prefer it if it were either monthly or bi-weekly since life and stuff tend to happen. I very much like the idea of having it centred in magic(k), or at lest not in divination since I never use runes for divination but only in "spells", chants and rituals. I've never been able to make them work for me as divination tools, no idea why, so I'll just stick to my Tarot cars there.
                Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Yes, count me in.
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I'd be interested as well.

Comment

I am definitely in!

Comment

Id be keen on a study group type thing, ala the Paxson book, as I'm attempting to read it now. Her system is monthly.
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Looks like we'll have a good turnout so far... I'm thinking starting with monthly but increasing to fortnightly if it seems like we need to move faster. What does everyone think? One single thread that we keep adding to or a thread each (I'm thinking a single thread we add to). And we'll have to try and allow each other to comment rather than one person posting EVERYTHING about each rune. I'd really like this to be a collation of our experiences and insights rather than a single person lecturing the rest of us.

I'm happy to drive this thing myself. I can post up the new runes and maybe some prompts each week. Maybe on Mondays (Aus) = Sunday (US).

Comment

My personal vote as a lurker is to keep it one thread and I'm willing to bribe people to do so by turning the first post into an index and editing (why yes, mod edit powers are awesome, why do you ask ) in a link to the page where discussion on each specific rune starts so you don't have to search the thread.

Comment

My personal vote as a lurker is to keep it one thread and I'm willing to bribe people to do so by turning the first post into an index and editing (why yes, mod edit powers are awesome, why do you ask ) in a link to the page where discussion on each specific rune starts so you don't have to search the thread.
                              Sounds good to me! You're so clever MO.
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment