What size are tarot cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size are tarot cards?

I'm looking into making boxes/cases for tarot cards.

I know that the cards come in different sizes, but I'm trying to figure out the most common size. So far, it looks like it's 2.75 inches by 4.75 inches.

Would you all mind taking a peek at your decks and seeing if I'm about right?

Thanks!

Oh... And if you were looking to buy a case for your deck, what materials would you like to see (wood, metal, leather), what sort of decorations would you like to see, and about what price range would you consider reasonable and/or within your means?

I guess I should also ask if there is anything which you would think of as just plain wrong for this purpose.

Thanks again!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: What size are tarot cards?

The old Rider-Waite deck I have around is about that size--2.5 x 4.5, I believe. However, the deck I actually use is an odd size--3.75 x 4.75.
    Last edited by habbalah; 11 Jan 2012, 07:00.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      I know that the cards come in different sizes, but I'm trying to figure out the most common size. So far, it looks like it's 2.75 inches by 4.75 inches.
      I have two decks that size.

I also have two decks that are 4" by 6". A deck that is 3.25" by 5". A deck that is 2.5" by 3.75".

Oh... And if you were looking to buy a case for your deck, what materials would you like to see (wood, metal, leather), what sort of decorations would you like to see, and about what price range would you consider reasonable and/or within your means?
      I've always been fond of wooden boxes, or leather wraps with ties (where you wrap the deck in leather, then wrap a tie around it to keep it secure - rather than a pouch style, although I do likes some styles of pouches). I like when leather is kept pretty plain. As far as boxes go... man, what don't I like... Anything but pentacles? I dunno how alone I am in that camp, but I'm tired of everything "witchy" being covered in pentacles. (Other stars would be nice... 7, 8 or 13 points.) I guess my favorite boxes are usually carved designs, but of many different styles.

As far as price, I''d be willing to pay 10$ to 20ish$ for a good box - maybe a bit more depending on style. Anything over 30$ or so starts to get out of budget. About the same for anything leather, but perhaps a bit more there, again depending on style.
      Last edited by Gardenia; 11 Jan 2012, 07:06.
      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
        As far as boxes go... man, what don't I like... Anything but pentacles? I dunno how alone I am in that camp, but I'm tired of everything "witchy" being covered in pentacles.
        Yeah - that's my feeling too. I could probably just slap pentacles on things and sell them as "pagan," but...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

You know what I would totally buy?

If a Tarot box was lined, and featured a little sachet pocket in the inside of the lid. I mean, yes, I can put a teabag or sachet or crystals or something in the box w/the cards, but a pocket would be very cool. I've seen some old-fashioned jewelry boxes that had pockets.

Kind of like this, but w/a practical pocket, not a big loose one:

417B7WXRNBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And 'secret' compartments.

I also love Tarot things that feature the symbolism from the QBLH/Tree of Life, and Tarot cards themselves rather than pentagrams and sun/moon/stars. I know there are a lot of copyright issues w/images from actual decks, but there's a lot of room for creative license that doesn't violate copyrights (and decks that are in the public domain).
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Hmm...mine are in storage, so I can't help with that...but as far as decorations, personally, I think something that used tarot symbolism would be cool--like the wheel of fortune (which seems appropriate to me).

ETA: Perze's idea of a secret pocket/compartment is awesome...I like to keep my amethyst pendulum necklace in with my cards, but I hate the ker-thunking noise it makes rattling around with the box.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I got 2 3/4" x and almost 4 3/4". I also third Perze's idea.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

Thanks all!

Good ideas. I'll see what I can come up with...

Comment

I am in China street to buy, size is 3.0 x 6.0

Comment

Originally posted by devil in angel View Post
                    I am in China street to buy, size is 3.0 x 6.0

Thanks!

Is that in inches?

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      Thanks!

Is that in inches?

Yes, because it is made in China. So ,it is large size.

Comment

Working...
                      X