12 Days of Yule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Days of Yule

So I have been on a pagan parenting group on Facebook as of late. The amount of traditions that I've never heard of before has my head spinning....mostly from the about of inaccurate information. Newest one is the 12 days of Yule. Many claim it to be a Norse or Asatru tradition. Taken this is being said by people who's children are also visited by Odin at Yule instead of Santa....but I figured if anyone online knew if this had any accuracy, some of you guys would.

Re: 12 Days of Yule

I was going to ask,where you been?..and welcome back.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Yule, in Iceland and the Scandinavian countries, would traditionally be observed for the length of time that the Yule log burned in the fireplace, which might be a couple days, might be a couple weeks, depending on the size of your fireplace and your Yule log. Sounds to me that the 12 days of Yule are probably a modern construct, but that's only my opinion.
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        I was going to ask,where you been?..and welcome back.
        Thanks for the welcome back. Been living life. Keep forgetting to get online, but my local Pagan community stopped meeting up...so here I am again. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        Yule, in Iceland and the Scandinavian countries, would traditionally be observed for the length of time that the Yule log burned in the fireplace, which might be a couple days, might be a couple weeks, depending on the size of your fireplace and your Yule log. Sounds to me that the 12 days of Yule are probably a modern construct, but that's only my opinion.
        That makes a lot of sense. Due to the fact that being pagan for 15 years and never hearing the whole 12 days of Yule until this year, I figured it was new. But wasn't sure if it actually had any links to the old Norse traditions.

Comment

I don't know much about Norse (and family) traditions, but never mind the 12 days of Yule, I'm scratching my head over the Odin bringing presents bit..

I guess I don't have a problem with people creating their own traditions (my entire path is my own fabrication after all), but if they're claiming it as fact I'd find it kind of frustrating.

Also, welcome back. It's good to see your username again. Hope you'll stay a while!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

As far as the Odin/Santa bit, I remember it being brought up as sort of accepted fact in my high school mythology class. My mom has some statues of historical/geographical/whathaveyou Santas, and the German one is pretty much how I have always pictured Odin, down to the greyish bluish robes. The eight reindeer originally being the eight-legged Slepnir, etc.

It seems every European country we studied had some version of a person who went around houses rewarding dilligent children and tidy farms, and punishing bad children (cough cough Krampus cough). It doesn't seem such a stretch that these and the Saint Nicholas story fed into each other to become Santa Claus

Comment

The Odin/santa is something I heard a lot growing up. What we're told is that Odin is probably our (Denmark here) 'original' santa. It's been so long I don't remember everything, but it's something about Odin leading the wild hunt during the yule/winter time that leads to him becoming 'julemanden' (the yule man translated) later on. They do have some similarities even today, the cloak and the beard. If you look at old pre-coca cola drawings of santa here it is not as hard to imagine.
              Never heard of 12 days of yule though. But I think it's likely an attempt at making the children's yule celebration more like their friends' christmas.
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I guess what generally bugs me is people not actually learning where their stuff comes from. They are all mostly going off a few badly done websites and social media photos that claim some ancient tradition. Seems it's mostly the social media circulated posts. Like I'm pretty sure most of the pagans in that Facebook group haven't ever read any books on Paganism.

I have no doubt that some of the origins for the modern Santa come from Odin. I mean the reindeer thing makes sense and Odin (minus the missing eye) does look like the old world Santa images. But some of these folk actually think there are stories od Odin delivering gifts to Children at Yule. As far as I know, there aren't. I can see a connection to the wild hunt, sure. And I've even seen some claims the wild hunt lasted for 12 days but when I researched the wild hunt a few months this back, I found that Odin was just one of many claimed deities to lead it. In fact, him being involved was supposedly a newer idea, if I read right. There wasn't historical evidence to that claim beyond the Victorian age.

Comment

Sort of reminds me of the Father Frost and his daughter the Snow Maiden in Russian lore as their Christmas lore is tied to the December 25th to December 31st time frame. Only know just the surface lore though so not very familiar with it.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Venturing out of my comfortzone here, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But it's always been my impression that you can find something akin to the wild hunt in a lot of European mythologies. Specifically I'm thinking about some irish lore, 'the hosting of the sidhe' by w.b. yeats is based in old myths if I'mnot completely mistaken. I vaguely seem to remember there is an eastern European equivalent as well. So a bit of a mix up of deities today doesn't seem that weird to me.
                    I agree that a lot of pagans probably haven't read much, amd spreading new inventions as old tradition is silly. But who are we to decide who gets to call themselves pagan.
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Didn't say they didn't get to call themselves pagan. Just seems like one would research before practicing, you know? I mean the 12 days of Yule is actually a cute thing and many sites have come up with prayers to be said each day. Now being a mom to a toddler and wanting more set traditions to do, I get its appeal. Just seems weird how much people don't know what is traditional anymore. I mean, many in the group also don't know that you actually burn a Yule log in a fire. They all thought the candle holder version was the traditional Yule log...and they had a post debating on proper candle lighting methods. Lol

Maybe I'm just too old school? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by GypsySeaWitch View Post
                        Didn't say they didn't get to call themselves pagan. Just seems like one would research before practicing, you know? I mean the 12 days of Yule is actually a cute thing and many sites have come up with prayers to be said each day. Now being a mom to a toddler and wanting more set traditions to do, I get its appeal. Just seems weird how much people don't know what is traditional anymore. I mean, many in the group also don't know that you actually burn a Yule log in a fire. They all thought the candle holder version was the traditional Yule log...and they had a post debating on proper candle lighting methods. Lol

Just an aside though but would love to see the discussion where they decide which part of the candle to save to start the new yule fire log for next year. People seem to forget that aspect as well as part of the Yule log is saved through out the year and burnt up as a starter to end the old year and begin the new year off right. Something to do with prosperity and abundance for the year.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by GypsySeaWitch View Post

I didn't mean to imply you did. I just mean there's no real use getting upset about it.
                          But yeah, it is weird. One thing is being brought up in a religion that you identify with without knowing much about it. But choosing a new path that you then don't actually know anything about, that's odd
                          But the 12 days of yule is cute, I like people making new traditions. Just rememering that they're new ^^
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                            Just an aside though but would love to see the discussion where they decide which part of the candle to save to start the new yule fire log for next year. People seem to forget that aspect as well as part of the Yule log is saved through out the year and burnt up as a starter to end the old year and begin the new year off right. Something to do with prosperity and abundance for the year.
                            Lmao. That would be funny. If I was a mean person that would a fun thing to troll about.

Anyways, I remember reading that the saved piece also protects your home from lightning. We also save the ashes to place around our home (supposed to go in each corner of the house for protection) and give some of the ashes to anyone who attended.

Comment

Urglaawe does 12 days at Yule, 12 at Allelieweziel which begins the evening of Oct 30 to Ewicher Yeeger Sege on November 11, and 12 days from April 30. All of these are times sacred to Holle. I do the same as I follow most of their days even though I am not actually Urglaawe. If someone wants to be irritated by it they can. I will do it anyway. Unless I am in you group what I or any other Heathen is doing shouldn't matter if it's not racists.

Comment

Working...
                              X