This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Atheist Wiccan"?

Okay, I have noticed a rash of people lately (on Facebook, naturally) calling themselves "atheist Wiccans." Like, how the hell does that even work? God/Goddess is the very heart and soul of Wicca. The entire point of Wicca is to worship them. I haven't even bothered to ask them, because I know their answers will honk me off. But really, what does it mean? Do they just light candles and walk in circles around a table for the hell of it?

What I really don't understand is why people so desperately cling to labels that don't apply to them. Be an atheist who loves nature if you want to. A lot of Christians love nature, too. Doesn't make them Wiccan. Since when does being a nature-lover alone equate to being Wiccan? It's kind of why I don't call myself a Wiccan. I am, for all intents and purposes, a Wiccan, but since I disagree with a couple of things, like the Rede and Law of Threefold Return, I choose not to twist Wicca to make myself feel special and instead call myself a Pagan.

I realize that at its core, this is just another part of the whole "anything can be anything you want to be, even if you have to twist, pervert, and bastardize it, and if you disagree, you're a bigot" mentality that has all but reduced Paganism to meaninglessness. I just...ugh...I should stop now before I have to move this to the rants or adult section.

- - - Updated - - -

PS., atheistic Paganism in general I understand and mean no offense to anyone. I just cannot fathom why someone would want to take on the label of a specific, theistic religion and call themselves atheist. It makes as much sense as calling oneself a Christian atheist.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: "Atheist Wiccan"? WTF?

I can't fathom it either. I mean atheists usually don't believe in made up belief systems. Go figure.

pst. Maybe you should ask them. You might be surprised. They could be as narrow minded as you are coming off in this post. Then you can all be best buds in your willful lack to seek out knowledge by just I dunno....asking them a question.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Don't get me wrong, please. People can believe whatever and however they wish, I truly believe that and would never tell anyone otherwise. I just don't understand the misuse of labels that goes on so frequently, that's all.

And, the reason I don't ask is because I see enough triteness and lack of basic logic in the particular group I'm talking about to be 98% sure of what they would say, and I wouldn't take kindly to it because I appreciate manners.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

I dunno. A lot of 'Wiccans' also misuse the hell out of labels. I guess they too like to sit in a circle and chant stuff.

But seriously? I'm pretty sure you can be a wiccan of the 'garden earthly nature loving hippy type' and call it a wash. Atheists don't believe in the idea of deities. But we do believe in many other things that are of this world.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

It's not that peculiar. Wicca, while being implicitly polytheistic, does not have to be. In Wicca, ritual actions are most important, not specific beliefs.
          Point of fact, a non-theistic viewpoint was rather widespread in Neopaganism, including Wicca, for several decades. Jungian psychology and the expanded concepts of "thoughtforms" and "archetypes" were very popular ideas in the 1960s and 1970s, and continued to have degree of traction into the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            I dunno. A lot of 'Wiccans' also misuse the hell out of labels. I guess they too like to sit in a circle and chant stuff.

But seriously? I'm pretty sure you can be a wiccan of the 'garden earthly nature loving hippy type' and call it a wash. Atheists don't believe in the idea of deities. But we do believe in many other things that are of this world.
            Certainly. I don't much care for any misuse of labels, my distaste isn't limited to this particular instance. And, of course. As I said, I understand the idea of atheism within Paganism as a whole. I just don't understand it when applied to a specifically theistic tradition.

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
            It's not that peculiar. Wicca, while being implicitly polytheistic, does not have to be. In Wicca, ritual actions are most important, not specific beliefs.
            Point of fact, a non-theistic viewpoint was rather widespread in Neopaganism, including Wicca, for several decades. Jungian psychology and the expanded concepts of "thoughtforms" and "archetypes" were very popular ideas in the 1960s and 1970s, and continued to have degree of traction into the present.
            Maybe I'm just a purist, then. It has long been my understanding that Wicca, while having the potential to be eclectic, has certain core beliefs, and that removing those core beliefs renders it non-Wiccan. Not invalid, just no longer Wiccan. I would say that removing the deities from a theistic religion would fall along those lines. Like, if someone were in many ways Catholic - kept a home altar, partook of communion, etc. - but denied the existence of Christ, I wouldn't consider them Catholic, just something similar.

I guess my bottom line is that it's more logical to at least call it by a different name. Do as you will, by why create more confusion than there already is?
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

Well, one can easily view deity as allegorical, archetypal, symbologial, etc. without literally believing in actual diverted literal entities. Atheist is often used to just mean you don't think gods literally exist, and wiccan can mean anything that involves an observation of a male and female, an observation of some sort of "you get what you give" morality, the celebration of a liturgical 8 hold day yearly mythic cycle, with a general sort of liturgical and ritual standard involving establishing a circle, calling quarters, etc. It doesn't depend on precisely HOW one beer ed* in those things.

Paganism just aren't orthodoxies, they are orthopraxies--even Wicca. TBH a good chunk of the IRL Wiccan I've known have been intellectually agnostic, nontheistic, pantheistic, etc.

Now, whether or not they have done all that much thinking on the matter to establish a cohesive rationale, I couldn't say.

*ETA: I got autocorrected....think this was supposed to be 'believed'
              Last edited by thalassa; 29 Apr 2016, 02:37.
              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                Well, one can easily view deity as allegorical, archetypal, symbologial, etc. without literally believing in actual diverted literal entities. Atheist is often used to just mean you don't think gods literally exist, and wiccan can mean anything that involves an observation of a male and female, an observation of some sort of "you get what you give" morality, the celebration of a liturgical 8 hold day yearly mythic cycle, with a general sort of liturgical and ritual standard involving establishing a circle, calling quarters, etc. It doesn't depend on precisely HOW one beer ed in those things.

Paganism just aren't orthodoxies, they are orthopraxies--even Wicca. TBH a good chunk of the IRL Wiccan I've known have been intellectually agnostic, nontheistic, pantheistic, etc.

Now, whether or not they have done all that much thinking on the matter to establish a cohesive rationale, I couldn't say.
                Thank you, that makes sense. I understand that some Wiccans are soft polytheists. I myself am sort of on the fence about it, in a "nobody really knows for sure" sort of way. I never thought of soft polytheism as a form of atheism, but I can see where the idea comes from. Maybe I just have a more narrow idea of what "atheism" means. At any rate, I do have a better understanding now. Thanks again.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

I have heard about "auto correct" and I know I would hate that..
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Well, that's one way to over-complicate atheism.

Comment

it is the human practice of "Hey,look at me,I am really different,not like all the others that drink coke and wear jeans,I wear kackies and drink 7-up"
                      AND,I am VERY special bunny ya know...!really fluffy and stuff.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Athiest Wiccan, I never ever heard of it.

Comment

Re: "Atheist Wiccan"?

I don't know, something about symbols, not literally, metaphors etc.

I'd assume it's like Satanists being atheists at the same time.
                          Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
                            pretty much this. the arch type of the God would emphasized instead of an actual deity and the same with the Goddess. when I first got into Paganism this was a concept I was introduced to.
                            Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

I've heard of atheistic Wiccans before but I've never tried to really look into it because of how inconsistent those beliefs are.
                              A Happy Little Wiccan

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Working...
                              X