This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Altars

Thank you, Liadan! Yes, I wanted to rush when I was making mine but it forces you to slow down or it all falls apart! I had a lot of fun making it though - it was much easier to make with pipe cleaners rather than reeds.
    How very special are we
    For just a moment to be
    Part of life's eternal rhyme

Comment

I love looking at alters! I took mine down during the summer because I found it unnerving to have it up anymore. But I still like to look at other people's. X
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Been meaning to share these for a long time.

The statuettes i'd like to add to for a couple reasons: one, Sekhmet is sort of associated historically with lots and lots of statues. two, I have no representation for Nefertem and Ptah, who are important to me.

The little pharaoh heads we got at goodwill, and I have no idea who they are (anyone care to identify?) so to me they represent my venerated ancestors.
        The chalice and urn are mostly ambience - gods can enjoy decoration too. and chalices have just a ton of representations.
        The incense holder is the one I bought when I was first exploring paganism. It has a metal pentacle set into rainbow glass, and has been through a lot with me.
        The lamp is very, very old. I had to re-splice the power cable. It's marble, I think. It's lovely and low-watt enough that I can leave it on all the time.
        The fountain is by far my favorite piece. ($9, goodwill) The water is colored with red and blue food dye to appear as blood. Keeping it filled is a daily job and I use it as an opportunity to pay tribute. Granted water isn't the most impressive of offerings, but I feel in this context it works quite well.
        Interestingly, a little bleach added to the water to clean it destroyed all traces of the coloring. I'll be re-filling and recoloring it this weekend, and maybe adding vinegar.
        Not shown: to the left is a plasma ball, but that's mostly for me.
        Also, looking at these (and the much much higher res copies on photobucket), I realize I need to dust up there. It's on top my desk, and I think these pictures had flash, so there's a lto there you wouldn't normally see.
        Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

Originally posted by celtic_fire View Post
          My Samhain Altar
          So jealous! Beautiful set up! Hoping that someday I can have something like this.

Comment

My Ostara altar. My very first Ostara altar, at that.

Sun candle in the middle, lots of spring colors and some flowers (eventually will get some real, fresh ones, but decent-looking fake must do for now). The cards are from a set about many different goddesses. The three I have there are Venus, Aphrodite and Arianhrod.
            How very special are we
            For just a moment to be

Comment

^very nice

I have redecorated my altar and will take pics asap!
              What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

That's lovely, winterviolet.

Someday I'll remember to take a picture of mine.

Comment

Mine could use some redecoration. Very beautiful winterviolet.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you, Celest, Storm and Liadan. It really cheered up my room. The smell of lilac candles makes me happy.
                    How very special are we
                    For just a moment to be

Comment

I should take a picture, but it's not really photogenic. My altar is nothing special, since traveling all the time makes it kinda hard to keep pieces beautiful, but I've got it set up on a shelf of three. On the top, I sprinkle herbs (mostly lavender for this time of year) and then, after I've spent some time before it, I grab a pinchful of the herbs and "anoint" my head with them before I leave.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

My Eostre (Ostara to you Vikings :P) altar:

Complete with birdy nest cake offering :P
                        "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

This isn't the best picture, but it is of my coven's altar. This is the simple version of what goes on it. Depending on what ritual we are doing depends on what goes on it. This was for our very simple Ostara celebration. The table we use is actually a tv stand that I placed designs on with a wood burner and then painted. Oh and the designs glow in the dark. lol.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very cools altars, ladies.

I just got pictures of mine. This is my everyday altar. Forgive me, for I cannot take a photo to save my life.

This is on the bottom shelf of my altar

This on the middle

This on the top
                            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Our current family altar and my main altar (currently in storage)...
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

So beautiful. Everyone has such wonderful altars. I usually use my fireplace as an altar. I haven't used it in a while. It is my temporary place for now. In the future I'd like a real altar.
                                -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

Working...
                                X