Food Poll #11: How do you Herb it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Poll #11: How do you Herb it up?

If you were on a desert island, what herbs would you take with you?
    Cinnamon
    0%
    Vanilla
    0%
    Basil
    0%
    Oregano
    0%
    Thyme
    0%
    Rosemary
    0%
    Ginger
    0%
    Tarragon
    0%
    Sage
    0%
    Pepper
    0%
    Paprika
    0%
    Bay
    0%
    Cloves
    0%
    Tumeric
    0%
    Nutmeg
    0%
    Cayenne pepper
    0%
    Chives
    0%
    Just say no to Herb!
    0%
    ALL THE HERBS FOR MEEEEEE! (I just can't decide)
    0%
    and now for something completely different (please specify)
    0%
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Food Poll #11: How do you Herb it up?

So...I ran out of space for ya know...cilantro, mint, parsley, dill, fennel, majoram (or as I call it, oregano-lite), etc...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

My preference is for hot (both types of pepper - black and new world), or bitter. I don't really like sweet foods, so the herbs & spices that go with sweet don't appeal (except vanilla, which I prefer to smell, rather than eat).

Ginger is an exception - hot and often used in sweet food, but it is amazing in other application, especially anything involving soy sauce.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

CUMIN SEED. And coriander.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Ginger is an exception - hot and often used in sweet food, but it is amazing in other application, especially anything involving soy sauce.
          I put ginger, tumeric, red pepper, and garlic in my sickie-poo chicken noodle soup. It clears the sinuses out like nothing else, baring a huge spoonful of my grandma's horseradish (she does it like this).
          sigpic

Comment

I try not to mix herbs like majoan and melissa. I don't know how they cooperate together. Of course I can try mix them in a tea and try myself the result but I don't want to take the risk of it becoming poisonous.

- - - Updated - - -

And both majoran and melissa in addition to mint are my perfect combo, for now.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

That was so hard. I'm loving rosemary tea at the minute. It's helping me to curb my addiction to milky tea of coffee while studying.. I can go through a cup of tea before I've even finished gathering everything together to start studying, I use a teapot and a thermos flask of hot water at my desk to make the tea last longer, but still go through 2 or 3 refills in the same session.

Rosemary is good for the memory anyway, so switching to this was a no-brainer, and got me off the teeth-staining, caffeine and calorie laden tea (I know tea by itself isn't bad, but with milk and in the quantity I was drinking it, the caffeine and calories soon add up).

Rosemary works really well with roast veggies too. I often throw the fresh herb in with my veg when roasting and it works a treat.

Yet I had to go for sage. Not because it does anything particularly amazing to my food though. I just adore the smell of sage and don't want to live in a world without it.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I put ginger, tumeric, red pepper, and garlic in my sickie-poo chicken noodle soup. It clears the sinuses out like nothing else, baring a huge spoonful of my grandma's horseradish (she does it like this).
                I want to like horseradish, but I just don't. It's weird and gross.

When I'm sick, I make apple-ginger-carrot juice. And just drink lots of it. With so much ginger it hurts.

Mostly art.

Comment

I like a LITTLE tiny bit of horseradish,but it has to be tiny. I do like this dip made by "Heluva good"

http://heluvagood.com/

Bacon horderadish is a fav..
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Does wasabi count as horseradish? According to QI, it commonly IS horseradish, just coloured green, outside of Japan..

I honestly can't place the taste of horseradish. I must have tried it, but I'm drawing a blank. Does it give you the same feeling of being punched in the nose, that eating wasabi gives you? If so, then I could quite happily live in a world without it. I don't like food that fights back.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I think Wasabi is much stronger than horseradish...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

It's a variant upon the same thing. A root that is ground up and gives a pungent, hot flavor. My usual suspects are garlic, cilantro, black pepper, and various chili powders.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          I think Wasabi is much stronger than horseradish...
                          Fake wasabi is horseradish. Real wasabi isn't actually as spicy as horseradish, and it looses its spice about 20 minutes after grating. It has to be made fresh. It comes from the Wasabi japonica plant's root. Most people have probably never had it--this article says that only like 5% of restaurants in Japan have real wasabi because its so hard to grow commercially. I've had real wasabi once--my very cousin's wife's family smuggled it in on their private jet (they own some fishing fleet and chain of fish markets or something in Japan...not sure, since I've only met her family twice, I just know their wedding cost something like 150k US, and half of it was her kimono and her Western style dress).
                          sigpic

Comment

Lemon pepper on anything. But Tajin. On EVERYTHING!
                            Old school it's probably pepper. I'm big on herbs since I have to cut back on the salt. All of Mrs Dash no salt seasonings are awesome.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

And now they say hot stuff will help you live longer.

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/want-...ring-hot-sauce

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X