X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We have chickens

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Yes, no problem.

But don't mix geese with smaller birds (you can have one, to act as "mother") because they tend to trample smaller birds with their big flappy feet.

P.S. I prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs
    Duck eggs are amazing!!! When I was younger we had ducks and chickens together. Dad hatched both chickens and ducks so they grew up as a family.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      We live two streets over from the river and had considered ducks but with all the animals on the Island we were afraid they would get killed. The chicks we can put in the coop at night.
      At the old house we cooped ours at night. At the current house their pen is fox proof and we'll build a fox proof one at the new house. But cooping ducks at night is perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        At the old house we cooped ours at night. At the current house their pen is fox proof and we'll build a fox proof one at the new house. But cooping ducks at night is perfectly fine.
        Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probobly some predators we haven't met yet.

There's really nothing we can do to keep them completely safe, especially from the weasel-ies, that can get through a tiny hole and reek massive destruction in a single night. You need to know your local predators, and reconcile yourself to the reality that, over time, nature always wins.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probably some predators we haven't met yet.
          This...plus gators
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probobly some predators we haven't met yet.

There's really nothing we can do to keep them completely safe, especially from the weasel-ies, that can get through a tiny hole and reek massive destruction in a single night. You need to know your local predators, and reconcile yourself to the reality that, over time, nature always wins.
            In South Australia we only need to worry about foxes, quolls and birds of prey (who will snatch juvenile chooks and ducks in broad daylight if you don't have a roof or netting over them). But in other parts of Aus they also have pythons that will take adults, tassie devils, dingos and crocs to worry about. Part of why I live down south! I'm glad I don't have to worry about racoons and weasels.

Comment

LOL - oh yeah... I forgot the hawks & eagles... When we see them circling, we hustle the birds into a covered enclosure, but generally they will go off into the woods themselves.

Fortunately, no crocs or 'gators, or other large reptiles (although, theoretically, snapping turtles might take a duck).

Man! Nature is DANGEROUS! It's a wonder anything lives at all out there.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yes Nature is dangerous,But the inner city has its predators as well...The crazy penny tossers off high rises,the open manholes of death,the drivers who loose control and crash into your favorite restaurant.. and the dog poo quicksand traps.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  Yes Nature is dangerous,But the inner city has its predators as well...The crazy penny tossers off high rises,the open manholes of death,the drivers who loose control and crash into your favorite restaurant.. and the dog poo quicksand traps.
                  But are the chickens safe?

That is the question (Shakespeare, for the uneducated).

Comment

I worry about cats and raccoons. I don't think the opossums would be an issue. Now I might get some ducks for Easter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                      I worry about cats and raccoons. I don't think the opossums would be an issue. Now I might get some ducks for Easter.
                      Ducks are fun. They don't need a pond (runner ducks can't even swim), but most enjoy a place to paddle around. We use a little kid pool.

Comment

Ducks are fun. They don't need a pond (runner ducks can't even swim), but most enjoy a place to paddle around. We use a little kid pool.
                        Ours also have a kid paddle pool (one of those clam shell type ones), which I drain and refill 1-2 times a week. When our house is built, I have plans for a proper pond with either a pump drainage system, or elevated with a gravity draining system... or aquaponics. Depends on when I run out of money! The only think with the kid pond is that it is a lot of work!

Ula, a kid pool is perfectly fine if you can commit to refilling it regularly and don't let it get all stagnant and gross. My little duck actually doesn't even get in the pool very often, just the Muscovy... I have a large cat litter tray that I fill up every day for the little duck. He sits in that for hours and will have his bath in that. As long as they have constant access to water that is deep enough to duck their nostrils and eyes into, they're fine. I have one of those chicken waterers, plus a square tub that is designed for putting in aviaries (which is what they both tend to use for cleaning their nostrils out), plus the pool and litter tray. But I could take out the pool and litter tray and they'd be perfectly safe and healthy. I just like to give them as much opportunity as possible to mimic natural behaviours.

Comment

Working...
                        X